"Nothing more rapidly inclines a person to go into a monastery than reading a book on etiquette. There are so many trivial ways in which it is possible to commit some social sin."
—Quentin Crisp (b. 1908) British author
- Hezbollah promises Syria 'victory' Sat, 25 May 2013 17:38:25 GMT
- The leader of the Lebanese Shia militant Hezbollah movement promises his supporters victory in Syria, saying Sunni rebels pose a threat to Lebanon.
- Pakistan bus fire kills 16 children Sat, 25 May 2013 11:07:22 GMT
- At least 16 children and a teacher are killed in a fire on their school bus in the eastern Pakistan of Gujrat, police say.
- Murder sparks anti-Muslim backlash Sat, 25 May 2013 17:42:52 GMT
- There has been a huge increase in anti-Muslim incidents since the murder of a British soldier in London, an inter-faith charity says.
- 'Black widow' bombing in Russia Sat, 25 May 2013 15:16:48 GMT
- A suicide bomber has blown herself up close to an interior ministry building in the southern Russian republic of Dagestan, officials say.
- 'Mafia martyr' Puglisi beatified Sat, 25 May 2013 10:04:22 GMT
- More than 50,000 people attend the beatification in Sicily of Don Giuseppe Puglisi, a Roman Catholic priest murdered by the mafia in 1993.
- French army in major Mali pullout Sat, 25 May 2013 11:33:03 GMT
- France begins a key stage of its military withdrawal from Mali, four months after sending troops to push Islamist rebels out of the north.
- Mayor 'sorry' for US brothel remarks Sat, 25 May 2013 13:25:47 GMT
- Osaka's outspoken mayor apologises for saying US troops in Okinawa should visit legal brothels as a way of curbing sexual crimes there.
- Deaths in Philippines militant clash Sat, 25 May 2013 15:13:26 GMT
- At least seven marines and five militants are killed as troops tackle Abu Sayyaf militants in the southern Philippines, the military says.
- Africa marks 'great leap forward' Sat, 25 May 2013 09:40:31 GMT
- Ethiopia's prime minister opens a ceremony of Africa's 54 leaders celebrating the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Organisation of African Unity.
- Ukraine stages first gay pride march Sat, 25 May 2013 13:46:53 GMT
- About 100 activists stage Ukraine's first gay pride march in the capital Kiev, describing the event as a "historic" day.
- Police probe fatal tiger attack Sat, 25 May 2013 16:24:58 GMT
- The death of a zoo worker attacked by a tiger could have been due to "human or technical" factors, police say.
- Apple 1 from 1976 sells for $650,000 Sat, 25 May 2013 16:41:39 GMT
- An original Apple 1 computer from 1976 - one of the first built in Steve Jobs' garage - sells at auction for more than 500,000 euros ($650,000).
- VIDEO: Cheese-maker warned over hill roll Sat, 25 May 2013 07:36:30 GMT
- The woman who has supplied the wheel of cheese for Gloucester's famous annual cheese-rolling event has been told by police she may be liable for legal action.
- VIDEO: Zoo worker dies after tiger attack Sat, 25 May 2013 14:56:52 GMT
- A zoo keeper has died after being attacked by a Sumatran tiger in the big cat enclosure at South Lakes Wild Animal Park in Cumbria.
- VIDEO: Will Smith surprise at City Hall Fri, 24 May 2013 23:50:09 GMT
- Hollywood star Will Smith and son Jaden surprised schoolchildren gathered for an event at London's City Hall.