"In politics I am growing indifferent -- I would like it, if I could now return to my planting and books at home."
- Russia 'to alter military strategy' Tue, 02 Sep 2014 11:37:19 GMT
- Russia is to adjust its military doctrine as a result of the Ukraine crisis and Nato's increasing presence in eastern Europe, a top Russian official says.
- US 'targets al-Shabab's leader' Tue, 02 Sep 2014 13:00:15 GMT
- The US military carries out air strikes in Somalia, reportedly targeting the leader of militant group al-Shabab, though it is unclear if he was hit.
- Terror suspects held in Saudi Arabia Tue, 02 Sep 2014 13:33:39 GMT
- Saudi Arabia's interior ministry says it has arrested 88 people suspected of plotting attacks inside and outside the country.
- Afghan militants 'may join IS' Tue, 02 Sep 2014 11:15:49 GMT
- Fighters from a militant Islamic group in Afghanistan, allied to the Taliban, tell the BBC they are considering joining forces with Islamic State.
- FBI probes 'Cloud' celebrity leaks Tue, 02 Sep 2014 09:09:12 GMT
- The FBI looks into allegations that the online accounts of celebrities have been hacked, leading to intimate pictures being posted online.
- Ebola 'threatens' W Africa harvests Tue, 02 Sep 2014 11:54:11 GMT
- The deadly Ebola outbreak is putting food prices and harvests in West Africa "at serious risk", warns the UN's Food and Agriculture Organisation.
- Nigeria militants 'seize' major town Tue, 02 Sep 2014 12:15:04 GMT
- Nigeria's militant Islamist group Boko Haram seizes the key north-eastern town of Bama after fighting with government forces, residents tell the BBC.
- Ecuador volcano increases activity Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:23:18 GMT
- A massive ash cloud is rising from the Tungurahua volcano in Ecuador as it shows increased activity with a series of explosions on Monday.
- Egypt police killed in Sinai attack Tue, 02 Sep 2014 11:38:45 GMT
- At least 11 policemen have been killed in a bomb attack on a convoy in Egypt's restive Sinai Peninsula, officials say.
- Uber banned across Germany by court Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:57:12 GMT
- A court says the UberPop service must stop transporting passengers in Germany, but the American company refuses to suspend work.
- Dethroned beauty queen seeks apology Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:54:52 GMT
- A dethroned Burmese beauty queen is refusing to hand back her crown until she receives an apology from South Korean organisers.
- Russian sex geckos die in orbit Tue, 02 Sep 2014 08:51:57 GMT
- Five gecko lizards sent into orbit on a Russian space satellite as part of a sex experiment have all died, the Russian space agency says.
- Survivor singer Jamison dies aged 63 Tue, 02 Sep 2014 09:31:54 GMT
- Jimi Jamison, the lead singer for US rock band Survivor, who sang and co-wrote the theme tune for hit TV series Baywatch, dies aged 63.
- VIDEO: Uganda's Ghetto Kids: 'Dance changed my life' Tue, 02 Sep 2014 07:03:04 GMT
- Children in Uganda working in a pioneering dance group, Ghetto Kids, have been describing how it has changed their lives for the better.
- VIDEO: The most future-proof profession? Mon, 01 Sep 2014 23:01:16 GMT
- BBC News talks to Ian Lowe, a blacksmith who teaches other people an ancient art he believes to be future-proof.