"All of us can think of a book... that we hope none of our children have taken off the shelf. But if I have the right to remove that book from the shelf -that work I abhor- then you also have exactly the same right and so does everyone else. And then we have no books left on the shelf for any of us."
- Pressure builds on key Yemen city Thu, 02 Apr 2015 00:39:45 GMT
- Fighting in the Yemeni city of Aden has intensified as Houthi rebels try to seize control of the city from forces loyal to the president.
- Russian trawler sinks with 54 dead Thu, 02 Apr 2015 03:01:01 GMT
- A trawler sinks off the Kamchatka peninsula in Russia's Far East, with 54 confirmed dead and 15 still missing in freezing seas.
- 'Sharp rise' in foreign fighters Thu, 02 Apr 2015 02:21:27 GMT
- A UN report says that more than 25,000 foreign fighters have travelled to join militant groups such as al-Qaeda and Islamic State.
- US senator charged with corruption Wed, 01 Apr 2015 23:26:05 GMT
- A top US senator, Democrat Bob Menendez, is charged with 14 counts of corruption but dismisses the accusations as false.
- Strict water limits for California Thu, 02 Apr 2015 01:36:09 GMT
- The governor of California has announced the first mandatory water restrictions in the state's history after years of drought.
- US teachers in mass cheating scandal Thu, 02 Apr 2015 00:11:23 GMT
- Eleven former school teachers and administrators are convicted of falsifying students' test scores in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Iraq forces declare Tikrit 'victory' Wed, 01 Apr 2015 18:16:03 GMT
- The Iraqi government declares what it says is a "magnificent victory" over Islamic State militants in the city of Tikrit after a month-long siege.
- IS militants 'enter Damascus camp' Wed, 01 Apr 2015 20:51:16 GMT
- Islamic State militants enter the Palestinian refugee camp Yarmouk in the Syrian capital, seizing control of large areas, reports say.
- Thai government replaces martial law Wed, 01 Apr 2015 17:26:17 GMT
- Thailand's military government announces it is lifting martial law, but replaces it with measures that critics say could be even more sweeping.
- Gun attack on Istanbul police HQ Wed, 01 Apr 2015 17:13:13 GMT
- Police kill an armed woman assailant and wound a gunman who opened fire outside Istanbul's police HQ, the city's governor says.
- Further delay to Iran nuclear deal Wed, 01 Apr 2015 20:05:02 GMT
- Talks on Iran's nuclear programme will overrun to at least Thursday morning, two days after the original deadline, the US says.
- Mediterranean 'accumulating plastic' Wed, 01 Apr 2015 18:11:05 GMT
- Large quantities of plastic debris are building up in the Mediterranean Sea, say scientists.
- VIDEO: Alps rescuer: 'The scene was surreal' Thu, 26 Mar 2015 21:40:51 GMT
- Jean Sebastien Beaud from the mountain police, who arrived at the French Alps site soon after the plane crash, describes the scene as "surreal".
- VIDEO: Latest pictures of Alps crash site Wed, 01 Apr 2015 15:15:02 GMT
- French authorities have released further footage of the Germanwings plane crash site, as recovery work continues.
- VIDEO: Saudi Arabia's bid to stop IS threat Wed, 01 Apr 2015 05:39:15 GMT
- Barbara Plett Usher reports on Saudi Arabia's attempts to stop its citizens joining Islamic State abroad, and asks whether it should be looking closer to home.