"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it."
—James Bryce (1838-1922) British diplomat, historian, known as First Viscount Bryce of Dechmont
- Burkina Faso parliament set ablaze Thu, 30 Oct 2014 14:13:31 GMT
- Protesters angry at plans to allow Burkina Faso's President Blaise Compaore to extend his 27-year-rule set fire to parliament in the capital.
- Abbas warning over holy site closure Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:10:53 GMT
- The Palestinian leader's spokesman calls the closure of a disputed Jerusalem holy site after the shooting of a Jewish activist a "declaration of war".
- Apple chief: 'I'm proud to be gay' Thu, 30 Oct 2014 14:29:44 GMT
- Apple chief executive Tim Cook has publicly acknowledged his sexuality, saying he wants to try to help people struggling with their identity.
- US nurse defies Ebola quarantine Thu, 30 Oct 2014 15:01:30 GMT
- A US nurse who returned from treating patients in Sierra Leone defies a voluntary quarantine order, leaving her house in Maine for a bike ride.
- Iraqi Kurd fighters 'enter Kobane' Thu, 30 Oct 2014 14:58:45 GMT
- An advance party of 10 Iraqi Kurd fighters have entered the Syrian border town of Kobane to join the battle against Islamic State militants, activists say.
- Prison for S Korea bullying soldiers Thu, 30 Oct 2014 11:07:32 GMT
- A military court in South Korea gives prison sentences ranging from 25 to 45 years to four soldiers involved in the death of a junior soldier.
- US posts better-than-expected growth Thu, 30 Oct 2014 14:27:38 GMT
- The US economy grew at an annual rate of 3.5% in the third quarter, a better figure than economists were expecting.
- German motorway shooter sentenced Thu, 30 Oct 2014 12:39:50 GMT
- A German lorry driver who carried out hundreds of shootings on the country's motorways has been jailed for more than 10 years.
- Polanski: US extradition attempt fails Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:40:23 GMT
- US attempts to have director Roman Polanski arrested for sex offences while visiting Poland fail.
- Tunisia secularists win elections Thu, 30 Oct 2014 11:03:58 GMT
- Tunisia's secularist Nidaa Tounes party wins 81 seats in parliament, pushing the Islamists of Ennahda into second place, official results show.
- IPCC debates 'most important' report Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:34:14 GMT
- Scientists and government officials are meeting in Copenhagen to edit a report on the causes, impact and solutions to global warming.
- UK can be sued over rendition case Thu, 30 Oct 2014 12:31:58 GMT
- A Libyan man can sue the UK government over claims he was illegally sent back to Libya and tortured, the Court of Appeal rules.
- VIDEO: Chinese Hollywood builds Forbidden City Thu, 30 Oct 2014 09:53:21 GMT
- Hengdian, a small town on the east coast of China, has become the setting for one of the largest outdoor movie studios in the world.
- VIDEO: Newly-lit Sistine Chapel is unveiled Wed, 29 Oct 2014 21:56:15 GMT
- The Vatican has unveiled a new hi-tech LED lighting system for the Sistine Chapel in Rome.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Thu, 30 Oct 2014 12:52:56 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.