"The only words that ever satisfied me as describing Nature are the terms used in fairy books, charm, spell, enchantment. They express the arbitrariness of the fact and its mystery."
—Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936) British writer, critic
- Deadline day for Iran nuclear deal Mon, 24 Nov 2014 07:33:44 GMT
- Diplomats in Vienna are to make a final push for a deal on Iran's nuclear programme ahead of a 23:00 GMT deadline, amid talk of a possible extension.
- Banker ruled fit for HK murder trial Mon, 24 Nov 2014 04:42:17 GMT
- British banker Rurik Jutting is ruled fit to stand trial for the murder of two women in Hong Kong, after undergoing psychiatric assessments.
- US police kill boy over replica gun Mon, 24 Nov 2014 07:16:55 GMT
- Police in the US city of Cleveland shoot and kill a 12-year-old boy who had been waving what turned out to be a replica gun.
- New computer spying bug discovered Sun, 23 Nov 2014 18:32:53 GMT
- Computer security firm Symantec discovers what it says is one of the most sophisticated pieces of malicious software ever seen.
- Mother of baby left in drain charged Mon, 24 Nov 2014 01:53:57 GMT
- Police charge a 30-year-old woman with attempted murder after she abandoned her newborn baby boy in a drain in western Sydney.
- Obama praise for 'President Clinton' Sun, 23 Nov 2014 22:47:37 GMT
- Hillary Clinton would be a "great president" if she decided to run for the White House in 2016, President Barack Obama says.
- Business confidence at five-year low Mon, 24 Nov 2014 02:50:48 GMT
- Global business confidence slipped to five-year low in October, according to a survey of 6,100 companies from Markit Economics.
- Dewani judge asked to throw out case Mon, 24 Nov 2014 04:55:53 GMT
- The trial of businessman Shrien Dewani on charges of plotting his wife's murder should be halted and the case thrown out, the judge will be told later.
- UK fighters in Syria 'not mercenaries' Mon, 24 Nov 2014 02:56:39 GMT
- A British man fighting with Kurdish troops against Islamic State militants in Syria tells the BBC he is not a mercenary.
- Peru probes 500 sea lion deaths Mon, 24 Nov 2014 01:24:15 GMT
- Peru's environmental police launch an investigation into the deaths of some 500 sea lions found on a northern beach.
- Google case over web abuse to begin Mon, 24 Nov 2014 02:10:09 GMT
- The case of a businessman who wants to stop malicious web postings about him appearing in Google searches is set to begin at the High Court.
- Kenya 'kills 100 Shabab militants' Sun, 23 Nov 2014 19:29:53 GMT
- The Kenyan military has killed more than 100 al-Shabab militants linked to a deadly attack on a bus, Kenya's deputy president says.
- VIDEO: Travelling through the Ebola heartland Sun, 23 Nov 2014 07:15:22 GMT
- The BBC's Tulip Mazumdar has been on a trip across two West African nations affected by Ebola to see how the authorities are dealing with the virus.
- VIDEO: England's blind cricket World Cup bid Sun, 23 Nov 2014 08:55:30 GMT
- England's visually-impaired team who are preparing to take part in the fourth blind cricket World Cup later this week.
- VIDEO: Sir Jackie Stewart: 'A great victory' Sun, 23 Nov 2014 17:14:03 GMT
- Formula One racing legend Sir Jackie Stewart hails Lewis Hamilton's world championship win in Abu Dhabi as "a great victory".