"Happy the people whose annals are blank in the history books!"
—Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881) British historian, essayist
- SA apartheid assassin given parole Fri, 30 Jan 2015 09:14:43 GMT
- South African apartheid-era death squad commander Eugene de Kock is granted parole after 20 years in jail for killing activists.
- Deadly attacks hit Egypt's Sinai Fri, 30 Jan 2015 08:26:08 GMT
- At least 26 people, mostly soldiers, are killed in a series of attacks by Islamist militants in Egypt's Sinai peninsula.
- Balloonists surpass distance record Fri, 30 Jan 2015 04:46:07 GMT
- Two pilots have surpassed the world distance record for a flight in a helium balloon after crossing the Pacific Ocean.
- Verdict due on Srebrenica appeals Fri, 30 Jan 2015 08:23:16 GMT
- The former Yugoslavia war crimes tribunal is set to rule on the appeals of five men over their convictions over the 1995 Srebrenica massacre.
- Philippine mourning for slain police Fri, 30 Jan 2015 07:26:51 GMT
- The Philippines holds a day of mourning for 44 police commandos killed in a clash with Muslim rebels, as police sought terror suspects.
- China warns universities on values Fri, 30 Jan 2015 05:07:27 GMT
- China's education minister tells universities to shun textbooks promoting Western values and block criticism of the political system, state media say.
- Saudi king reshuffles cabinet Fri, 30 Jan 2015 04:55:09 GMT
- King Salman of Saudi Arabia announces a major cabinet reshuffle, a week after he acceded to the throne.
- Russia patrols near UK 'routine' Fri, 30 Jan 2015 08:22:26 GMT
- Russia contests claims its planes caused "disruption to civil aviation" in the UK, saying the patrols were "routine" and met "international legal norms".
- EU extends sanctions against Russia Thu, 29 Jan 2015 22:27:06 GMT
- Foreign ministers from the EU agree in Brussels to extend existing sanctions against Russia until September but not to impose any new sanctions.
- Congress approves Keystone pipeline Thu, 29 Jan 2015 21:46:48 GMT
- The US Senate passes a bill to approve the controversial Keystone XL pipeline, sending it to President Barack Obama's desk for a likely veto.
- Man with fake gun disrupts Dutch TV Fri, 30 Jan 2015 01:56:12 GMT
- A man wielding a fake gun is arrested in a studio of Dutch news broadcaster NOS, causing the main evening bulletins to be cancelled.
- German ranchers killed in Paraguay Fri, 30 Jan 2015 00:37:55 GMT
- A German couple who had been ranching in Paraguay for 30 years are shot dead, allegedly by left-wing guerrillas.
- VIDEO: The Tibetan monk with 170 children Fri, 30 Jan 2015 00:19:47 GMT
- A Tibetan Buddhist monk took in 33 orphans after an earthquake in 2010 - now he is looking after 170 children.
- VIDEO: Taylor Swift trademarks famous lyrics Fri, 30 Jan 2015 07:39:34 GMT
- Pop star Taylor Swift has trademarked phrases including "this sick beat" and "we never go out of style", in the United States to prevent unauthorised use of her work on merchandise.
- VIDEO: Art among the rubble in Shanghai Thu, 29 Jan 2015 17:51:34 GMT
- Demolition in China is often a sensitive, political subject, touching on the relative powerlessness of local residents in the face of omnipotent local officials.