"Critics are by no means the end of the law. Do not think all is over with you because you articles are rejected. It may be that the editor has his drawer full, or that he does not know enough to appreciate you, or you have not gained a reputation, or he is not in a mood to be pleased. A critic's judgment is like that of any intelligent person. If he has experience, he is capable of judging whether a book will sell. That is all."
—Lavina Goodell Junior editor, Harper's Bazaar
- Missing Malaysia jet 'a mystery' Mon, 10 Mar 2014 09:27:54 GMT
- The fate of missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 remains "a mystery", says Malaysia's civil aviation chief, with hijacking not ruled out.
- Syria rebels free kidnapped nuns Mon, 10 Mar 2014 01:32:56 GMT
- A group of Greek Orthodox nuns kidnapped by rebels in the Syrian Christian town of Maaloula in December have been released.
- 'Long-dead Mexico drug lord killed' Mon, 10 Mar 2014 03:22:11 GMT
- Officials in Michoacan, Mexico say that they have shot dead drug lord Nazario Moreno - The Craziest One - who was reported killed in 2010.
- Pistorius guard defends testimony Mon, 10 Mar 2014 09:46:05 GMT
- A security guard defends his account of phone calls with South African athlete Oscar Pistorius after the shooting of Reeva Steenkamp.
- El Salvador vote 'too close to call' Mon, 10 Mar 2014 09:38:41 GMT
- Electoral authorities in El Salvador say with the preliminary count finished in the presidential election the poll remains too close to call.
- Assad forces 'starving' refugee camp Mon, 10 Mar 2014 00:06:07 GMT
- Starvation of civilians is being used as a weapon of war by Syria, Amnesty International says, with 128 dying as a result in Yarmouk camp in Damascus.
- Asian markets tumble on weak data Mon, 10 Mar 2014 08:51:23 GMT
- Asian shares fall after both China and Japan released disappointing economic data, worrying investors about a slowdown in the region.
- Ukraine gripped by rival rallies Mon, 10 Mar 2014 07:31:51 GMT
- Tens of thousands of people across Ukraine hold rival pro-unity and pro-Russian rallies, as Moscow continues to strengthen its grip on Crimea.
- New threat to ozone layer identified Sun, 09 Mar 2014 18:09:01 GMT
- Scientists identify four new man-made gases that are contributing to the depletion of the ozone layer.
- Blood test 'finds Alzheimer's early' Sun, 09 Mar 2014 18:13:26 GMT
- A blood test can accurately predict the onset of Alzheimer's disease, according to US researchers.
- Man 'used drone to smuggle drugs' Mon, 10 Mar 2014 09:40:03 GMT
- A man is arrested and charged for allegedly attempting to smuggle drugs into a prison using a drone, Australian police say.
- Kim Jong-un in 'unanimous poll win' Mon, 10 Mar 2014 07:14:23 GMT
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un is elected to the country's rubber-stamp parliament with a unanimous vote from his district, state media say.
- VIDEO: Live coverage of Pistorius trial Mon, 10 Mar 2014 06:51:46 GMT
- Live coverage of the trial of South African athlete Oscar Pistorius, who denies murdering his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine's Day 2013.
- VIDEO: Iran nuclear deal 'within months' Sun, 09 Mar 2014 23:32:20 GMT
- The Iranian foreign minister has told the visiting EU foreign policy chief, Catherine Ashton, that a nuclear deal could come in the next four months.
- VIDEO: Plane and skydiver collide mid-air Sun, 09 Mar 2014 17:15:14 GMT
- A pilot and jumper escaped with minor injuries after a plane became entangled in the strings of a skydiver's parachute, sending both crashing into the ground near Tampa, Florida.