"Life is a library owned by an author. It has a few books which he wrote himself, but most of them were written for him."
—Harry Emerson Fosdick (1878-1969) American religious leader
- UN accuses Israel over Gaza shelter Wed, 30 Jul 2014 10:49:52 GMT
- UN officials accuse Israel of launching a deadly attack on a UN-run school housing thousands of refugees in Gaza despite repeated warnings.
- Ukraine seizes key town near Donetsk Wed, 30 Jul 2014 10:57:30 GMT
- Ukraine says it has seized the town of Avdiivka, near the rebel stronghold of Donetsk, amid intense fighting in the area around the downed MH17 flight.
- Somali 'killed for not wearing veil' Wed, 30 Jul 2014 10:53:49 GMT
- Militant Islamists in Somalia shoot dead a Muslim woman for refusing to wear a veil, her relatives say.
- 'Dozens trapped' by Indian landslide Wed, 30 Jul 2014 09:31:09 GMT
- About 40 houses are buried and up to 150 people feared trapped after a landslide hit a village in western India, officials say.
- France evacuates expats from Libya Wed, 30 Jul 2014 11:02:03 GMT
- The French government says it has evacuated French and British nationals from Libya, as battles rage between government forces and militias.
- Ebola virus threatens UK - Hammond Wed, 30 Jul 2014 09:59:46 GMT
- The Ebola virus, which has killed more than 670 people in West Africa, is a "potential major threat" to Britain, the government's chief scientific adviser warns.
- Argentina hours away from default Wed, 30 Jul 2014 07:24:05 GMT
- No deal is in prospect in Argentina's debt talks in New York as Wednesday night's default deadline approaches.
- More than five-a-day 'no effect' Tue, 29 Jul 2014 23:05:24 GMT
- New research backs the five-a-day target for fruit and vegetables, but suggests eating more may have no added benefits.
- Guinea concert stampede kills 24 Wed, 30 Jul 2014 04:12:11 GMT
- At least 24 people have died after a stampede at a beach concert in Conakry, the capital of Guinea, with dozens reported injured.
- Los Angeles flood hits university Wed, 30 Jul 2014 03:14:18 GMT
- A burst water main causes flooding along Los Angeles' Sunset Boulevard at the University of California, Los Angeles, officials say.
- 'Quantum Cheshire Cat' observed Tue, 29 Jul 2014 17:36:04 GMT
- Scientists have separated a particle from one of its physical properties - proving a theory known as the "quantum Cheshire Cat".
- Apology over Turtles '9/11 poster' Wed, 30 Jul 2014 09:03:51 GMT
- Paramount Pictures apologises over a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles poster featuring the characters jumping from an exploding skyscraper alongside the release date of 11 September.
- VIDEO: Inside a laboratory battling Ebola Tue, 29 Jul 2014 23:11:35 GMT
- Global Health Correspondent Tulip Mazumdar takes a look around a makeshift laboratory trying to battle the Ebola outbreak in Guinea.
- VIDEO: UK to allow driverless cars on roads Wed, 30 Jul 2014 05:01:17 GMT
- The UK government will shortly outline measures to permit driverless cars to use public roads by next year.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Wed, 30 Jul 2014 09:49:23 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.